What is OVERFLOW?
OVERFLOW exists to provide a special time of social interaction, friendship and fun for older teens with special needs. This program also offers a much-needed break for the parent/guardian who rarely has time for themselves.
OVERFLOW volunteers are a wonderful dedicated group of teens who are active in the life of Custer Road UMC. Many have experience volunteering with the Special Needs Ministry at Custer Road UMC, through programs such as Friday NITE Friends and the Lifeguard Program. All of them truly have a desire to make friends with their peers with special needs. The volunteer teens are supervised and assisted by adult volunteers who have experience with individuals that have special needs.
The program is offered one Friday a month during the school year, from 6-10pm. There is a fee of $5 per teen for pizza, drinks and snacks. However, if a teen has dietary restrictions, the fee is waived, but parents are requested to bring dinner/snacks.
OVERFLOW Admission Guidelines
To ensure that OVERFLOW can adequately care for the teen, he/she must:
- Be between the ages of 14 and 19
- Live at home
- Have a special need
- Participate in the program to give the custodial or primary caregiver a break
- Are not at risk of “running”
- Be continent or not require assistance with toileting during the program hours
- Not require any assistance with transferring
- Not be participating in ANY OTHER faith-based respite program with similar criteria
- Not require medication or special nursing assistance during program hours
- Not exhibit harmful behaviors such as profanity, spitting, biting, unprovoked violence, etc.
Please complete the following forms to apply for OVERFLOW: Overflow Application, Overflow Applicant Information Form, and if needed the Sibling Information Form that is located under the Respite tab. The Overflow Medical Release form will need to be completed and notarized after you are accepted to the program.